Purpose of the Role
The Infrastructure Designer is responsible for designing innovative, customer centric, high performance, secure, robust solutions. Working on service or change initiatives, designers understand the underpinning infrastructure technologies to develop and reuse infrastructure solution patterns to ensure both functional and operational requirements are met through the infrastructure design, ensuring that the solution is simple, scalable and supportable.
Designers collaborate with architects and engineers to realise the correct balance of utilising current standard technologies and emerging requirements, providing input to the CTO strategies and roadmaps.
Designers are generally aligned to a single Domain but can also cross Domains if a Infrastructure Design is required for a bank wide solution.
The scope, scale and complexity of the design that a designer is accountable for increases as they becomes more experienced and skilled.
What is Required ?
* Designs infrastructure solutions with the customer/user experience as the primary objective
* Develops scalable solutions, aligning to Technology and CTO Strategies, which can be implemented across the platform, Domain or cross functionally
* Responsible for the design of infrastructure solutions (current, resultant and target states) for their assigned scope, ensuring deliverables comply with the overall Technology and CTO Standards & Technology Governance
* Responsible for ensuring the end to end design supports the continuous improvement of the Customer Journeys and enhanced Customer Experiences through knowledge of Design Thinking and as-a-Service solutions
* Assesses portfolio and product backlog for assigned scope, to ensure adherence to business strategies and architectures, presenting to stakeholders and authorities when needed
* Researches, understands and keeps up to date with industry thinking, best practice, technology and customer trends. Makes recommendations and articulate findings including potential impact to existing and prospective customers
* Contributes to defining and the maintenance of the Bank's design methods and their relationship to the banks change management framework
* Work with an agile mind-set, striving to deploy fast and often, drive continuous improvement, shorten feedback loops and shorten the delivery cycle.
* Translates application requirements into packages of work to be included in frequent incremental platform deliverables, understanding the importance of minimum viable product (MVP) and minimum marketable features (MMF)
* Works closely with the Domain and Platform Architects to ensure that the design and delivered components are in line with the defined architectural goals
* Collaborates with stakeholders across the Domain to help them understand and support the infrastructure changes required to satisfy the business and bank-wide outcomes
* Seeks and relies on continuous feedback, keeping up to date on industry thinking, best practice aware and standard patterns for key infrastructure services (e.g. Colleague Platforms, Hosting Services, Security Services, Service Management) to allow the optimal designs to emerge and be reflected back into the domain / platform blueprints
* Inputs to the evolution of CTO Services to ensure robust, scalable and cost-efficient technology platforms are available for businesses in line with their requirements.
* Actively contributes to their Centre of Excellence (COE) specialism by cross sharing of best practice and learnings with their CoE & Community of Practice (CoP) colleagues , and comply to all standards & policies as required by CoE.
* To enable to understand and be in control of upcoming work, participates and actively contributes to Product Increment(PI) planning , system demos and retrospective sessions
* Promotes best practice in infrastructure architecture and design methods and standards, contributing to the maintenance of the Bank's architecture methods for improved operational stability, resilience and security.
* Provides hands-on support to Domain, Platform and Feature teams in the plan, design, and delivery of IT solutions, drives short & long term Infrastructure strategy for the overall IT project portfolio.
* Is a member of the Retail banking Architecture function
* Create and maintain infrastructure solution patterns and manage the repository of these patterns.
* Aids the feature teams in defining and delivering their required outcomes, participating in sprint planning, story refinement retrospectives and other sessions as necessary