Director, Data Engineering - Permanent - Remote - $190k
The Director, Data Engineering will be leading multiple teams of Data Engineers building the next generation of data models and systems for this company's product catalog and analytics platforms in the Azure Cloud. This position will set the architectural standard for the workgroup, as well as providing the team with day-to-day management and direction to accomplish on-time, efficient delivery of product development goals. Using cutting edge tools like Databricks and Stardog, you and your teams will be architecting relational and graph data models, as well as developing queries, transformations, and pipelines required for their internal and external clients to retrieve, analyze, predict, and report insights from their immense amount of data. This position will provide strategic leadership for all data systems and teams in their domain, working as closely with stakeholders in product management, data science, data engineering, and analyst teams as they do with their own organization.
You're a passionate, dynamic, and highly motivated strategic thought leader who's looking for an opportunity to have an impact on some of the most well-known companies in the world. If you enjoy working with best-in-class data and helping clients make transformative business decisions, this job is for you.
- Make strategic decisions around data architecture, organizational shape, and personnel planning.
- Drive the development of highly scalable, secure, and flexible cloud-based data warehouses and models, supporting big data and business intelligence platforms.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop, maintain, and evangelize data strategies.
- Ensure all staff is provided with frequent feedback, coaching, training and resources in order to meet and exceed individual and team performance goals consistently.
- Lead the development of technical standards and perform reviews to ensure enterprise and architectural standards and processes are followed.
- Lead initiatives from design through implementation and delivery.
- Proactively engage in continuous improvement of processes and capabilities to take advantage of new technology offerings.
- Assist in budgeting activities.
- Manage and encourage new ideas from staff to foster improvements through innovations.
- Empower the staff to be accountable and responsible for their own actions and decisions.
- 12 years of Data Engineering experience.
- 5 years of Data Engineering people management and project management experience.
- 3 years' experience with big data in a cloud first environment, with Azure preferred.
- Ability to translate strategic objectives into action plans, ensuring team is focused on strategic priorities, as well as near-term operational priorities.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and client service skills. Effective interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills applicable to a wide audience including senior/executive management, clients, and peers.
- Capable of forecasting needs and ensuring effective and efficient management of time and resources.
- Understands the evolving landscape of technology and its effect on customers and data products.
- Skilled in creating a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members.
- Ability to adapt quickly to utilize best practices.
- BS Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience required; advanced degree preferred
- Expertise in multiple databases technologies, such as relational (Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, Postgres, MariaDB), Graph (Gremlin, sparql, shacl), big data (Databricks, Hadoop/HBase), and Search (Elastic, SOLAR).
- Advanced data modeling skills.
- Development experience with strong proficiency using Python, R or Scala, with Databricks preferred.
- Strong Proficiency with data manipulation languages such as SQL, Sparql, Spark, DAX and SAS.
- Advanced Experience with Azure PAAS cloud technologies at the enterprise level for data and analytics.
If this role seems like a good fit for you, please reach out to Shannon today at email@example.com.