Server Lead Programmer - UK wide
Salary up to £70k DOE
1 day per month in London office
An independent games studio, who are the makers of an award-winning open world game and also operate a community led developer network, are expanding further after heavy investment!
What You'll be doing
You'll join their highly talented code team and will be responsible for developing and enhancing online-backend systems for games.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing reliable and high performance online services for our games
- Making key decisions on server side architecture
- Building and managing a small server side team of programmers
- Planning and organising tasks, to deliver features to a schedule
- Providing advice to the rest of the team on server side issues
- Working with the other Leads to coordinate tasks and technical implementation, based on the current roadmap. This will include working with other disciplines such as Design and QA
- As a senior team member you'll help mentor junior team members and plan their skills development
- Creating and maintaining technical documentation as required
Required Experience and Skills
- Professional Game Programming Experience (at least 3 years) including 1 or more shipped games
- Proven ability to organise and coordinate a small team of programmers
- Working knowledge of C++, NodeJS, SQL/NoSQL, Docker and orchestration software such as Marathon or Kubenetes
- Experience with designing around databases, replication, reliable/unreliable protocols, security, high throughput requirements and stateless vs stateful server design
- Knowledge of the client-server model, Game API design, load balancing, analytics and 3rd party integrations
- Conceptual grasp of user generated content, persistent environments, large simulated worlds
The studio offers a range of benefits for all our employees:
- For cycling fans our Cycle to Work Scheme enables employees to save money and spread the cost of a new bike.
- We offer a generous family policy including 8 weeks fully paid paternity leave and 6 months fully paid maternity leave.
- To support our team's wellbeing we offer an Eyecare scheme, Employee Assistance Programme (which includes mental health support) and trained Mental Health First Aiders.
- Great central London office location near to several excellent food markets and lots of great pubs and restaurants. The office also comes equipped with free fruit and refreshments, an arcade machine and table football.
- We love to socialise and celebrate together and hold regular staff socials (always with non-alcoholic options available) including our well-known Summer and Christmas parties. We also encourage staff to take part in lunchtime clubs.
Contact me on email@example.com or 0191 814 7785 for further detail.