Systems Engineer - Tier 1
Vice President Information Technology
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform helpdesk functions includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end user help requests.
- Work with team members to resolve business systems issues.
- Collaborate with IT department team members, solution partners, and service providers regarding break/fix.
- Ensure that root cause analyses is completed to avoid recurrence of issues and follow through with a well-defined knowledge base article.
- Monitor system connectivity of all servers, shared software and resources, and other applications.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Provide technical orientation and training to end users.
- Provides timely attention to all Helpdesk requests. Assesses the validity of the requests as they arrive, ensures the details within the ticket are complete and that the impact and criticality of the issue is correctly assessed. Does their best to resolve the issue if able. Re-allocates and/or escalates requests as appropriate.
- Performs daily ticket maintenance and management. Follows up on requests and annotates tickets as appropriate with progress and status. Ensures the requestor stays informed.
- Supports, monitors, tests and troubleshoots user, telephony, PC and POS system related hardware and software problems within the enterprise; including all custom and commercial applications. Escalates as appropriate.
- Pays special attention to time sensitive business requests and makes smart decisions to ensure minimal user impact for their regular work day.
- Provides basic user account maintenance across all systems.
- Makes pragmatic recommendations on system and process enhancements.
- Ensures configurations, system features and site information are appropriately documented.
- Establish and maintain a thorough knowledge of the organization and technology standards.
- Responsible for communicating, promoting and adhering to IT standards.
- Assists with controlling hardware, software and telephone inventory.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Systems Knowledge: Technical knowledge of Windows 7 / Windows 10. Experience with MS Office and Office 365. Comprehensive knowledge of desktops/laptops hardware, printers, and basic peripherals. Experience supporting end users, remote and local. Experience working with managed service providers. Software application troubleshooting experience. Experience with Point-of-Sales (POS) systems desirable. Good understanding of TCP/IP, VLAN, WAN and general network topology. A practical knowledge of Intranet and Internet Technologies, servers, networking and telephony. Basic PowerShell, VBScript, and Excel Formulas.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating and equipment maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language. Ability to speak effectively before employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Superior ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, and various financial calculations.
Reasoning Ability: Must solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment. Strong customer service orientation. Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Work Conditions: Will always be required to carry a company cell phone and expected to respond to urgent calls in a timely manner. This may require remote or occasional on-site support. Weekly on-call rotation. Sitting for extended periods of time. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components. Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
University technical degree desirable and/or 2 years equivalent work experience. A+ and Net+ certifications strongly desired, Microsoft MCSE preferred. ITiL Foundations V3 or V4 a plus.